Free Expert Picks!

By Jerry Weston

Legislation was introduced last week in the Pennsylvania senate that would allow current retail/online sportsbook licensees to open wagering kiosks inside bars and restaurants that have valid state-issued liquor licenses.

In Senate Bill 843, sponsored by Senator Wayne Fontana of Pittsburgh, a restaurant would retain 25% of the gross revenue their sports betting kiosk generates. The remaining 75% would go to the sportsbook operator and their tethered land-based casino.

Pennsylvania already has in-person sports betting at 14 casinos and two off-track betting locations, in addition to the 13 online sportsbooks operating in the state. More than 90% of the betting occurs digitally by phone or computer.

Much of the betting in the retail locations, which accounted for $48.2 million of the statewide $308.8 million in sportsbook revenue in the 2020-21 fiscal year, occurred at self-service kiosks within the casinos. Overall, more than $5 billion was wagered legally on sports in Pennsylvania in the fiscal year.

While some two dozen states have legalized sports betting in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s May 2018 PASPA ruling that made it possible outside of Nevada, it is rare for the activity to be authorized in bars or taverns. Montana is one exception, where there is no online sports betting or casinos with sportsbooks, but any licensed liquor establishment can host sports betting terminals.

About admin

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Leave a Reply