By Lewis Gould
ESPN is reporting that the Nationals are willing to listen to trade offers for Juan Soto after the star outfielder rejected their most recent long-term offer.
Soto turned down a 15-year, $440 million offer that would have been the largest contract in baseball history.
Soto had told ESPN earlier this year that he declined a 13-year, $350 million offer prior to the offseason lockout. He is eligible to become a free agent after the 2024 season.
The decision to listen to potential trades for Soto would represent a change of plans for the Nationals, after president of baseball operations and general manager Mike Rizzo said last month that the team would not move the 23-year-old star.
Nationals fans after hearing you turned down a $440M extension
— Action Network (@ActionNetworkHQ) July 16, 2022