By Michael Donovan
The Flyers need a goalie, and yesterday they gave Alex Lyon a two-year contract.
Lyon played 11 games for the Flyers as a rookie last season, including seven starts, posting a 4-2-1 mark and a 2.75 goals-against average and .905 save percentage.
DRAFTED: Undrafted, signed as college free agent in 2016
AGE: 25 (12-9-1992)
BORN: Baudette, Minnesota
VITALS: 6-1, 201 pounds
* He made his NHL debut on Jan. 31 at Washington in a relief effort where he stopped all five shots he faced in 8:02 of playing time… He made his first NHL start the very next game (Feb. 1) at New Jersey, where he took a 3-2 loss.
* Lyon earned his first win in the NHL on Feb. 18 at Madison Square Garden in New York where he appeared in relief of an injured Michal Neuvirth and stopped 25 of 26 shots in the second and third period from the Rangers.
* In his second season since turning pro, Lyon went 16-8-2 with a 2.77 GAA and .911 save percentage in the regular season with the Lehigh Valley Phantoms in the American Hockey League.
* He was the Phantoms starter in the 2018 Calder Cup playoffs, where he posted a 1.98 GAA and .944 save percentage with a 6-5 record leading Lehigh Valley to the Eastern Conference Finals.
* On May 9, 2018, he made 94 saves on 95 shots to lead the Phantoms to a 2-1 win over the Charlotte Checkers in five overtimes in Game 3 of the Atlantic Division Finals… The game was the longest in AHL History.
* Lyon originally signed with the Flyers as a free agent out of Yale University on Apr. 6, 2016 and signed an extension on July 16, 2017.
* During his three-year Yale career, Lyon led the ECAC in goals-against average and save percentage in his final two seasons, while finishing third in win percentage. Lyon set school records during his tenure in career goals-against average (1.88), save percentage (.931), wins (50) and shutouts (15).